This mixed media mirror (wood, yarn, paint, beads, ribbon) has been around, waiting quietly in the wings, wrapped in felt, tucked away in an under-the-bed storage container, to keep it safe from the dust bunny colonies, a cat that likes to hide under the bed and just general dirt.
The paint may be my favorite part and I didn’t know it would look the way it does when I started painting. The paint went on very thick and so as I added more paint, there are layers that are raised and softer and areas where the paint is thinner and you can see the wood grain. As Bob Ross would have said, a happy accident!
When I sat down to work on this last Friday, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had actually gotten a lot farther than I remembered. All the flowers and the leaf were already crocheted! I thought I had only done the leaf. I added a little sparkly bead to the flowers which I think gave it a nice vintage feel. I am thinking at some point that I may crochet one or two more, add the beads and then make a pin. That would be really pretty on a winter coat. A little bright spot when it’s so dreary outside.
At one point, I thought of using a pretty matte glitter all over the mirror but I couldn’t find a glue that really dried the way I wanted so the glitter will have to wait for another project. If I find glue though, it’s not too late…